2021 Start of Year Newsletter
“Here we are again, happy as can be, all good friends ……… “ and no company!
It’s March, the daffodils are out, the trees starting to bud – so it is time to think about the coming golfing season😉
I trust you are all safe and well as we celebrate (if that is the right word) one year of COVID. Many of us will have had our first jab and the Covid numbers are all heading downwards – Thank God.
BoJo said Golf Courses will be able to open on 29th March – but when will you be able to get out and play on your own courses? More importantly when will Societies like us be allowed to play at clubs and enjoy indoor hospitality? Chris reports that Hindhead is saying that they will have no Societies in 2021 – but it is not on our list. What are other clubs saying to their members?
What of our 2021 programme?
Sadly, our first 2 events are already cancelled and there is uncertainty for June and beyond. I list the first half events here –
- 14th April – Chobham and AGM – CANCELLED – too soon after 29th March, no indoor facilities. Our AGM will happen as and when we meet (or not at all).
- 11th May – Henley – CANCELLED – before Stage 3 on 17th May when indoor hospitality starts
- 1st June – Newbury & Crookham – uncertain – Malcolm will discuss with his club when it reopens
- 24th June – Blackmoor – uncertain – 3 days after Stage 4 date – Bill will discuss with the club when it reopens
- 15th July – West Byfleet – uncertain – Bill will discuss with his club when it reopens
The Committee want to restart our Society events asap, when the rules allow (and we think it safe for our members). We will keep a close watch on what is happening with the Lockdown restrictions easing and talk with the golf clubs to see when they can safely have us in for an event. When that happens, we can decide on how our 2021 season will run, what cups we will play for and whether we run the Matchplay competitions.
Please do not pay your subs at this time. It is too early for us to know when we might start the season and how many events we will be able to run. When this is clearer, then we will ask you to pay subs and say how much to pay. 37 of you still have £10 credits against your 2021 subs.
Look out for our next newsletter which we plan for late April. We trust that things are clearer then and Golf Clubs have a better idea of how they will operate in 2021.
In the meantime, do keep safe and well, practice and play as you are allowed.
Hopefully we will exit the Covid crisis in the next few months and “We’ll meet again …..”
Peter Norris, 2020 Captain and Treasurer, IBM BGS